Frequently asked questions


My appearance has changed. What should I do?


Although it is not mandatory, we do recommend that you obtain a new passport if your appearance has changed substantially, even if your passport is still valid. The intent of the photo is to accurately identify the person presenting his or her passport to border officials and prevent travelers from experiencing difficulties when travelling outside of Canada.

Please note that in order to change your passport photo, you must apply for a new passport and pay the applicable fees.

Don't see your answer here?

Look for your question on the Frequently asked questions main page.